[seek-dev] Try out an alpha version of the Query Builder (actor)

Rod Spears rods at ku.edu
Mon Jul 19 11:44:35 PDT 2004

All the widgets are standard Swing Controls, but the majority of the
code is where I subclassed various Swing classes to provide explicit
functionality or extended functionality.

The only part that will not scale well is the DesktopPane with the table
"frames" and the drawing of the links. At the moment it all get
invalidated and redrawn when dragging around a frame. So the more
tables, the slower it gets. The scalability and performance can be much
imporved with a better algorithm for "dirtying" the appropriate areas of
the desktop pane.

Also, the tool accepts a set of interfaces representing the schema, this
morning I took the TableEntity and Attribute classes and implemented the
interfaces (5 minutes of work) and the Query Builder can now use these
classes as input instead of my "light weight" versions.

One of the UI challenges was to create a UI with no menus and would not
require the selection of a row for deleting or updating. The most
unintuitive thing in the UI is that you set the table name to a blank
name to delete it, MS-Access users should not have a big issue with
that. A user can use D&D, but it isn't a requirement.

I am still documenting the classes themselves, but here is the javadoc
so far: http://129.237.201.166:8080/ogsa/qb/doc/index.html

Rod