[seek-dev] GIS functions

John Harris harris at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 3 12:40:16 PST 2004

Hi Deana,

Sounds like fun!  I've used GRASS for doing reclassification and raster
math in the past and have incorporated many GRASS functions into java when
I worked on the Vegbank project.  Let me know if you want to see some
code.  Take care.  John

 On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Deana Pennington wrote:

> At the BEAM meeting, we identified a short list of GIS functionality
> that we need to accomplish the ecological niche modeling activity.  I'll
> be spending some time next week looking at open source solutions.  The
> list is pretty basic, so I don't expect it to be difficult to find a
> solution, but if anyone has strong opinions, please let me know.
>
> Deana
>
> GIS functions
>
> I/O multiple formats (GDAL)
>
> Projection (GDAL)
>
> Clipping
>
> Resample (GDAL?)
>
> Script polygon around occurrence data (GRASS? grid smearing?)
>
> Buffering (GRASS)
>
> Map algebra
>
> Reclass
>
> Export cell counts for histograms, area, etc.
>
> map viz (MapServer)

 John Harris
 National Center for Ecological
 Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)