[seek-dev] RE: resultset question

Peter McCartney peter.mccartney at asu.edu
Fri Apr 9 11:10:55 PDT 2004

it has to be well formed no matter what. so the question is really how
can we identify a namespace for the result set when the content we stick
in there has no hope of being valid? further, how can we define  a set
of rules for how the results are to be evaluated against that namespace
yet not be valid?
request 1: '*/creator/individualName/surname', '/eml/dataset

Rule1: "content must appear in minimal xml tree needed to accomodate the
informaton"

Rule2: "content must appear in a potentially valid xml tree that
invalidates only due other required elements missing.

rule 3 "conent must appear in a tree that placed in in correct node
ancestry for the declared namespace.

response 1: meets 1 and 3 and is well formed. Requires just knowledge of
parent ancestry to build.
<eml>
    <dataset>
    <creator>
        <individualName>
                <surname>mccartney</surname>
                <surname>jones</surname>
        </individualname>
    </creator>
</dataset>
<eml>

response 2: meets 1, 2 and 3 and is well formed. Requires knowledge of
ancestry and index (ie jones is in creator[2] of dataset[1] )
<eml>
    <dataset>
    <creator>
        <individualName>
                <surname>mccartney</surname>
        </individualname>
    </creator>
    <creator>
        <individualName>
                <surname>jones</surname>
        </individualname>
    </creator>
  </dataset>
<eml>

response 3: meets 3 and is not well formed. rquires knowledge of
ancestry.

<eml>
    <dataset>
    <creator>
        <individualName>
                <surname>mccartney</surname>
        </individualname>
    </creator>
</dataset>
<eml>
    <dataset>
    <creator>
        <individualName>
                <surname>jones</surname>
        </individualname>
    </creator>
</dataset>
</eml>

and just a reminder of where we originally started from (approximately)

reponse 4: meets no rule, cannot validated, but conveys all the
information to generate format 1 or 3 above using a string tokenizer and
a jDOM. but not option 2.
<resultset namespace=eml......>
    <returnfield
xpath="dataset/creator/individualname/surname">mccartney</returnfield>
    <returnfield
xpath="dataset/creator/individualname/surname">jones</returnfield>
</resultset>

I think we should really ask whether we are making ourselves deal with
some very complicated rules for really no gain in functionality. None of
the results will be valid according to the name space. All of them are
valid if i make up my own namespace for the result set.  Unless we can
hold our selves to the standard where any code or xsl written for the
schema will successfuly process the result set (#2 is the closest to
that, but depending on how loose the code is, all three could work or
none could work), why shouldnt we opt for the easiest rule to comply
with?

Peter McCartney (peter.mccartney at asu.edu)
Center for Environmental-Studies
Arizona State University