[seek-dev] Re: [globus-developer] Http-(Get or Post) Binding in gt3 (fwd)

Jing Tao tao at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 29 17:02:40 PST 2003

Hi, everyone:

The attached email is a reply one for the http binding in gt3. It seemed
the globus has some  difficuties to suuport http binding service. Even we
make up one, but I am not sure the service is a grid service.

Why do we stick to http binding for "get" method?

In Santa Barbara meeting, Dave and I discuss about the "get" method. He
suggested we use soap binding for "get" method. The parameter passed to
"get" method is a identifier and the return value is a url which points
the file or other resource. After client calls the "get" method and gets the
url, client then open the url and get content of file or document. It is
good idea. But this is different to our purpose of "get" method.

Another way is we can use soap binding directly for "get", the
wsdl will look like:

<message name="getRequest">
  <part name="identifier" type="xsd:string"/>
</message>
<message name="getResponse">
  <part name="parameter" type="xsd:base64Binary"/>
</message>
<portType name="EcogridSoapPortType">
	<operation name="get">
	   <input message="tns:getRequest"/>
	   <output message="tns:getResponse"/>
     	</operation>
</portType>

base64Binary will be used as return type. Using this interface,
we can directly get the data we want. The issue now I can imagine is
maybe srb has very big image file and the process will take long time.

Any comment, suggestion will be appreciated!

Jing

--
Jing Tao
National Center for Ecological