[seek-dev] my ecogrid questions answered

thau@learningsite.com thau at learningsite.com
Thu Nov 20 15:26:27 PST 2003

Matt Jones set me straight on irc earlier today.  Here are the answers to
my questions, in case they were keeping YOU up at night as well.

> I have two small implementation questions about this:
> ecogrid://some.registered.institution/identifier/subid/subid/...
> First question: what types of things are the subids?

Answer - subids are IDs that may be embedded in an xml document, for
example, in which case the path in the URI is an xpath.

This brought up the question of what to do with things like HTML and RDF
documents which use # (instead of / ) to separate a file identifier from
an internal id.  But that can probably be dealt with the thing described
next.

> Second question: how does this work? :)  I understand (at a
> non-implementational level) what's going on with the GSH/GSR mechanism,
> handle resolvers and all that, but I'm not sure how that can be used to
> reference individual data objects. Is there some other component (MDS3 or
> something) that I should be looking at?

The answer to this is, yes, I should be looking at the grid MDS stuff -
specifically the information services component.  An index service handles
the URIs.

Thanks Matt!
Dave