[seek-dev] Re: [SEEK-Taxon] some notes on digital object identifiers

thau@learningsite.com thau at learningsite.com
Thu Nov 20 11:21:45 PST 2003

Howdy,

I have two small implementation questions about this:

> The EcoGrid group is using the GSH/GSR mechanism to identify and locate
> data objects in the grid as well as identify and locate Grid Service
> instances (such as the EcoGrid Query servers, and computational services
> such as Garp).  We've been discussing the exact format of the URIs we'll
> be using for our handles, and so far are thinking of something along
> these lines, although its not final:
> ecogrid://some.registered.institution/identifier/subid/subid/...

First question: what types of things are the subids?

Second question: how does this work? :)  I understand (at a
non-implementational level) what's going on with the GSH/GSR mechanism,
handle resolvers and all that, but I'm not sure how that can be used to
reference individual data objects. Is there some other component (MDS3 or
something) that I should be looking at?

Dave