[seek-dev] implementing garp in ptolemy

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Nov 7 12:12:15 PST 2003

Hi All,

I've been looking at trying to get GARP working in ptolemy a bit, and I
have a few questions.  First of all, is the modularity that is described
in the PPT files the modularity that you would want in a ptolemy model?
  for example, is the "data calculation" step in the "GARP Native
Species Pipeline" something that you would want to reuse in other
pipelines?  When I talked to Dave when we were here in SB, I got the
impression that he thought GARP should just be one atomic actor (is that
really what you think Dave?)  If these components are never going to be
reused for any other pipeline, then they should probably just be folded
into one generic GARP actor.

I'd like get together, either physically or virtually, with someone that
can explain to me the exact steps that it takes to go from the training
data and layers to output.  The specifications of the modules within the
PPT documents are a bit vague.  For instance, I have no idea what data
calculation does.  A mid-level pseudo-code implementation of GARP might
be a good idea, as it would help me get my head around this thing a bit
more.

Could any of you have a phone call next week?  maybe wednesday since
tuesday is a holiday?

chad
--
Chad Berkley