[seek-dev] RE: OGSA version grid-ftp

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Thu Nov 6 22:05:21 PST 2003

Jing, Bing and others (esp. Matt):

Can you have a look at
	http://www.sdsc.edu/~ludaesch/Paper/ptii-grid.ppt

This is a slide I recently used to illustrate how the Grid-enabled
data transfer could be possibly accomplished in a transparent manner
in Ptolemy-II.

In the figure, A and B are two actors running in PTII as independent
Java threads. Logically, A sends B a data token X. As it turns out A
is really a PTII proxy for some remote grid service GA. Similarly for
B and GB. So when A sends X to B (logically), what really happens is
all that other stuff that you see (handles being passed back and
forth, so that eventually GB requests a direct data transfer from GA.

When the actor B receives message #3, it does NOT indicate completion
of data transfer (or in PTII lingo: the token X from A did NOT arrive
yet at B). This happens only when #7 comes in, at which point B
logically/virtually has received X.

Is this how this is supposed to work?
If not, how then?

Thanks!