[seek-dev] coming up to speed on Ptolemy

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Mon Jun 30 21:35:02 PDT 2003

Hi Amy:

Welcome to the party!
On the SEEK side, Chad and Matt (and others) are the first addresses I
think on experiences with Ptolemy. Chad has built some EML plug-in /
Ptolemy actor that should be available in the SEEK CVS repository.

I'm also cc-ing the developers from the SciDAC/SDM project, where we
work on a scientific workflow system based on Ptolemy.
You may want to register for that list as well:
It has also Ptolemy related traffic. The main gurus on this side are
Zhengang from NCSU and Ilkay here from SDSC (check the archive for
email addresses).

As to BPEL4WS: as part of the SciDAC project several of us looked at
what's out there. At this point the business workflow standards don't
seem to cut it for us. But it would be interesting to extend Ptolemy's
pipeline oriented way of modeling workflows toa more control-flow
oriented IF THAT IS NEEDED.

If I remember right, some of the AP&M action items was to get Ptolemy
ready as a workflow design tool. Once we have a bunch of sample
workflows we can see what is needed beyond Ptolemy's current
capabilities.

Note that from the SciDAC project we're having a demo in a few days at
the SSSDBM conference.

My hope is that SEEK and SciDAC can stay compatible wrt Ptolemy
extensions...

Bertram