[seek-dev] new IRC server

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 17 09:01:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

We have installed a new IRC server.  This new server has no IP address
restrictions on it, so anyone can connect at anytime without us having
to authenticate you.  We have changed the DNS record so that
irc.ecoinformatics.org is now pointed at the new server, however it may
take up to 24 hours for the DNS information to propegate out to all of
the nodes.  We will leave the old server up for a day or two.

Within 24 hours, please disconnect yourself from the irc server and try
reconnecting.  Make sure you are connecting to irc.ecoinformatics.org
and not dev.nceas.ucsb.edu.  You can discover whether you are on the new
server by using the /list command.  If you see the chat room
"#newserver" then you are on the new server.  If not, wait a few hours
and try reconnecting.

Let me know if you have any problems.

chad

--