[obs] proportional phenotypes

Shawn Bowers bowers at gonzaga.edu
Sun Feb 27 11:04:55 PST 2011

Hi,

Representing the value (as in the 5 cm example below) would be trivial
to do in OBOE. However, representing a magnitude w.r.t. a different
property would be trickier. I haven't seen an example like this in the
datasets we've looked at in the KNB, and so haven't really thought
about this case.  But, I think it could be defined by introducing a
characteristic ...

In OBOE, a measurement is a combination of an entity (the petiole in
this case),  a characteristic (e.g., length, width, mass, etc.) of the
entity, a value (e.g., 5), , and a measurement standard (e.g., cm).

In this case, it seems like the easiest thing to do would be to have a
characteristic that captures "length compared to width" ... and then
use the default ratio measurement scale as the standard, or else
define a specialized unit for this. It seems like you'd want the
characteristic to be defined in such a way that it implies both a
length and a width were measured. This would allow for discovery
queries that search for petiole length and width to both return the
measurement (assuming this is the desired outcome).

Shawn