[obs] proportional phenotypes

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Thu Feb 17 16:13:02 PST 2011

I thought this would be an interesting question for the Observations
list as well, and am hence forwarding it.

How would "petiole 5x longer than wide" best be represented in an OBOE
model?

Jim -

your revised suggestion below is exactly along my reaction to your
original question. Often questions such as yours are framed as "what
is the correct way to represent this using model Y". Many data models
have indeed only one or very few correct way of representing some
data, but I think this is much less true for the EQ model. Obviously
something that is syntactically wrong or logically inconsistent in OWL
would have to be considered "incorrect".

The rationale I was trying to follow in thinking how best to represent
this wasn't so much about what is the "correct" way, but rather what
inferences do you want to support with it. Is it important to the
ability to reason over the semantics that it is a proportionality that
inheres in the petiole, or that it is a length, and the length in this
case just happens to be stated relative to some other length, but that
doesn't change that what is of interest here semantically is that it
is a length characteristic that is being observed.

Even so, that doesn't mean that in other cases it would really be the
proportionality that's important.

	-hilmar