[obs] Joining DwC, OBOE, PO and PATO

Cam Webb cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 31 21:15:36 PDT 2010

Hi Hilmar,

> ... , but an effort that is free from the legacy usage requirements can
> probably make faster progress on the hairy process of nailing down the
> consensus semantics of the major concepts in this area. ...
>
>> The formal acceptance of such a new standard would take a long time.  What
>> do you suggest doing in the meantime?
>
> I don't think that a process of formal acceptance of a new standard needs to
> or should hold up using it.
> So I don't see any hindrances to moving ahead.

What do you think would be the best platform for laying out the various
design options that are being discuss here and on tdwg-content, free from
DwC or LSID-voc constraints (for the moment), with the goal of a
consensus-based draft of a biodiversity information template for the
semantic web?  A new Task Group within TDWG?  Something at NESCent?  It
would be good to capitalize on the momentum we have now and to throw down
the various notes and emergent consensus in one place.  Bob Morris is
frequently warning us about the dangers of developing SW structures
without fully realizing what we're doing, but I'd rather we go ahead, with
someone who really understands those unforeseen consequences watching,
than just wait for a more formal collaboration to happen.

Best,

Cam