[obs] OBOE master file

Shawn Bowers bowers at gonzaga.edu
Wed Oct 27 08:39:18 PDT 2010

Hi Hilmar,

(I guess I'd be the "whoever" :-). Most of the "hits" you are finding
in your searches are to (older) cvs and/or svn repositories. The one
in the bioportal is the most recent, which can be found here:

http://ecoinformatics.org/oboe/oboe.1.0/oboe.owl

The ontologies under oboe.1.0 always contains the most recent versions.

The ontology is split into a number of different files and some
extensions (which are also under oboe.1.0). They are:

1). The basic, or core oboe classes:

http://ecoinformatics.org/oboe/oboe.1.0/oboe-core.owl

2). An extension for asserting context relationships as part of
measurement (e.g., that an observation was made of an entity when that
entity was "located in", was a "part of", etc., some other entity).
Oboe-core allows one to say that one observation/measurement was made
within the context of another, whereas oboe-context allows one to
assign a specific relationship to the contextualization.

http://ecoinformatics.org/oboe/oboe.1.0/oboe-context.owl

3). The main extension to core, which includes structures for defining
measurement standards (e.g., units), etc. This should be the main
starting point for most oboe-compatible ontologies (although core
could be used as well)

http://ecoinformatics.org/oboe/oboe.1.0/oboe.owl

4). Various unit definitions are available in oboe-units:

http://ecoinformatics.org/oboe/oboe.1.0/oboe-units.owl

This one has many units (including the SI units) and corresponding
top-level characteristics/dimensions (i.e., where a characteristic is
similar to what EQ calls "attributes"), but the list of units is not
complete (although it has the typical units used in many domains).

5). Some experimental domain ontologies. These are still work in
progress and are currently being developed:

http://ecoinformatics.org/oboe/oboe.1.0/oboe-chemistry.owl
http://ecoinformatics.org/oboe/oboe.1.0/oboe-sbc.owl

The oboe sbc ontology is targeted at common measurements taken at the
SBC LTER site. This ontology is being used for annotating SBC
datasets.

6). There are some plant-trait ontologies we've developed (for
annotating plant trait measurements, like specific leaf area, etc.)
These are not yet available via oboe.1.0 but I'm assuming they will be
soon ...

We're hoping to have formal documentation soon for all of the above,
and will make it public, etc., when it is finished (in a publishable
state).

If anyone has any additional questions about oboe, how we use it, best
practices, etc., I'm more than happy to help!

Shawn