[obs] Species occurrences in OBOE

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 22 18:25:18 PST 2010

Hi Hilmar,

Its definitely possible to represent a DarwinCore (DwC) record or set of
records using OBOE.  The model is general enough to accomodate these types
of scientific observations, including specimen occurrence records, which are
really just a specialized form of population survey in which the specimens
are at times preserved.  The crux, of course, is having an appropriate OBOE
extension ontology that captures the essence of Darwin Core's model in OWL.
 We have not worked on that, and given the discussion of DwC concepts that
has been occurring on tdwg-content over the last few weeks about the meaning
of DwC terms, that might be a challenge.

Nevertheless, I'll try to work up a DwC record represented in OBOE as a
point for discussion, and I'll send it here. And I'll probably add it to the
use case pages on the SONet site somehow.

Matt