[obs] Joining DwC, OBOE, PO and PATO

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Tue Nov 2 20:01:41 PDT 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Matt Jones wrote:

> Would PATO lose anything by formally defining a Quality as an
> instance of oboe:Characteristic and with a particular oboe:Value
> bound to it?

It's maybe worth keeping in mind that in the distributed nature of the
Semantic Web paradigm anybody could make that assertion, i.e.,
PATO:quality rdfs:subClassOf oboe:Characteristic (assuming that you
did in fact not mean instance, but subclass?). Hence, if using PATO
terms within OBOE-compliant data would require that, there's nothing
that would stop you from simply including the assertion in your
ontology.

Conversely, adding that to PATO itself would probably generate a drawn
out philosophical discussion as to how compatible that would be with
BFO ... (and I don't think OBOE is easily reconcilable with BFO)

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:- Durham, NC -:- informatics.nescent.org :