[obs] Observations Workshop thank you and email list

Cushing, Judy judyc at evergreen.edu
Thu Jul 19 12:14:58 PDT 2007

hi all,

just a quick note on the 'date' and 'location' attributes for observation data....

lee and i briefly talked about discussions you guys had on this at the workshop, and her input about what we learned from our review of 500+ articles in canopy research.

a few observations to add to what lee said (i think):

1. trees are rather slow growing, so researchers typically do not record the exact date and time of an observation (this might not be a 'best practice' though, since the date/time might help for understand data errors, we've found).  however, they DO know (and typically record in metadata, just once, in one place), the year or season of a collection of observations.

2.  while exact location is NOT often taken (it is not usually possible or even desirable), relative location is often taken.  even where it is not, there are usually some location indicator - at the least eco-system, for example, or site, or plot.

i haven't yet read the report, and stuff on the wiki, but wanted to get this clarification out, in case it is useful.

judy