[kepler-users] Kepler Question

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 2 09:18:53 PDT 2008

Yes, in addition, we've built what we call a Master/Slave controller system
in Kepler that creates a distributed execution system that allows a master
workflow to spawn subworkflows on slave nodes that are running a Kepler
instance behind an RMI-based controller.  This system has a GUI in Kepler
for users to choose which nodes to use based on the ones listed in a node
registry, and a DistributedComposite actor that workflow designers use to
indicate which parts of a workflow should be executed remotely. There is a
functioning prototype of this system in the Kepler trunk, and continuing
work to refine it for shipment withthe next version of Kepler. The Kepler
Distributed Execution Interest Group is pursuiing this functionality.

https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/interest-groups/distributed

Matt

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Edward A. Lee <eal at eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> We have done some experimenting with having multiple workflows running
> and communicating in the (underlying) Ptolemy II system.  Yang Zhao made
> some Ptolemy II models a few years ago that implemented a distributed
> chat application as a concept demo.  But we've never really packaged
> up this work...  It would be well worth doing...
>
> Edward
>

> Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 1:27 AM, ted leslie <tleslie at tcn.net <mailto:
>> tleslie at tcn.net>> wrote:
>>

>>    I just stumpled upon Kepler and am absolutly blown away!
>>
>>    I think it will be very useful for me,
>>    but one requirement that I would have is,
>>
>>    Can I have workflows interact?
>>    Can one trigger another, or start it up?
>>    Can they communicate to one another?
>>    (maybe even a WF run within a WF?, import a WF as a data provider to
>>    another WF?)
>>

>> There are several answers to this: First, a workflow running within a
>> workflow is called a "composite actor" or "subworkflow" in our terminology.
>> When one nests a wf inside another one, the question arises: how should this
>> be executed? What's the model of computation. Thanks to Ptolemy's various
>> underlying models of computation, we can use in Kepler different ways of
>> nesting workflows inside one another, all with clear semantics (there are
>> papers and documentation describing how this works).
>>
>> Having said this, we normally don't think of multiple instances of
>> workflows as running indepdently and then somehow communicating. Although
>> such a thing is possible (e.g. this *might* be related somewhat to Ptolemy's
>> life cycle models, where one model (aka workflow in Kepler lingo) can start
>> another one), we rather think of workflows typically as data-driven analysis
>> pipelines (dataflow process networks).
>>
>>    Also, I use Linux exclusively, but to avoid Java installs and other
>>    prereq.
>>    I just put it into a Windows OS on vmware, to give it a quick look.
>>    Is the Linux version as full featured as the Windows? (or fuller, or
>>    lessor?)
>>    (If not what are diffs?)
>>

>> I'm not aware of a difference. And you can always get the latest version
>> via the source code repository.
>>

>>    These might be very noob questions, and I don't mind  "RTFM",
>>    but these are fundimental Q's I would appreacate brief feed back on,
>>    (or reference pointers)
>>    before I take a much deeper dive in.
>>

>> Here is a good starting point:
>> http://www.kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Documentation
>>
>> Bertram
>>

>>    Thanks,
>>

>>    --
>>    ted leslie <tleslie at tcn.net <mailto:tleslie at tcn.net>>

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo