[kepler-users] a few questions

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 27 08:51:37 PDT 2008

Hi Marc,
Kepler uses Ptolemy II, which has nightly tests and a code
review process.

We test our non-graphical code by using Jacl, a subset of Tcl
implemented in Java.  Our graphical code is not automatically tested,
though be separating concerns we get good coverage.  Our code coverage
can be found at http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/nightly

The Ptolemy development process is documented in:

J. Reekie, S. Neuendorffer, C. Hylands and E. A. Lee ``Software
Practice in the Ptolemy Project,'' Technical Report Series,
GSRC-TR-1999-01, Gigascale Semiconductor Research Center, University
of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, April 1999.
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIlatest/ptII/doc/coding/sftwareprac/index.htm

Basically, we use code reading and place code into one of four
categories depending on quality.

Ptolemy has three volumes of documentation and on-line documentation
for the actors.

There are two bugzilla lists (one for Kepler, one for Ptolemy)
and several different mailing lists for the projects.

Ptolemy is also released under the BSD Copyright, though Ptolemy
does use software with other open-source copyrights.  The copyright
dependencies are clearly marked, we try to compartmentalize software
that uses other packages.

_Christopher

Chad writes:
--------

    Hi Marc,

    See my answers below:

    Marc WESSNER wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running an evaluation of major wrokflow clients using QSOS method
    > (http://www.qsos.org/?lp_lang_pref=en).
    > I found many pieces of information on the Kepler website but I still
    > miss a few points.
    > I wish someone could answer the following questions:
    >
    > - Is there an identified "quality process" regarding Kepler ?
    > (documents, automatic tests...)

    We do have some junit tests that run nightly.   More are needed.  All
    documents related to kepler can be found in our kepler-docs cvs
    repository accessible here:
    http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/kepler-docs/

    > - Who owns Kepler's rights ? (a few persons, numerous people, a
    > university...)

    Kepler is released under the BSD opensource license.  The rights to each
    individual source file are those of their author.  You can find a
    copyright notice at the top of each source file that describes this.

    > - Is there a road map for the developpers (I saw one on the web site but
    > it was focused only on the past features) ?

    We don't currently have a road map document that I know of.  We are
    planning to release Kepler 1.0 sometime this spring, however.

    Hope that helps,

    chad