[kepler-users] Using outfileHandle and infileHandle of Command Line Exec

Derek Kivi djkivi at ucalgary.ca
Fri Nov 23 09:32:50 PST 2007

Hello,

I am trying to create a workflow using Kepler where we will be calling
external executables and want to take the output file of one executable
and pass it as the input file of another executable. I have attached a
PNG file showing a small example workflow.

The two programs called in this example are perl programs program1.pl
and program2.pl shown below. The first program will print a few lines to
  output and the second program will read from input and just print out
the lines it reads.

program1.pl
----
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "test1\n";
print "test2\n";
print "test3";

program2.pl
----
#!/usr/bin/perl

while (<STDIN>) {
     print;
}

In my workflow, I specify an outputFile for the first Command Line Exec
and when I run the workflow, I see the three lines printed out to that
output file like I expect. However, I had a lot of trouble getting any
output to the Display actor from the second Command Line Exec.

Eventually I set the firingCountLimit for the String Constant to 10 and
I finally got some output to the Display. However, it was inconsistent
what I would get from workflow run to workflow run. I would get 2, 3, or
4 copies of the output lines displayed such as

test1
test2
test3

test1
test2
test3

but I never got 10 copies like I would expect and with the
firingCountLimit at 1, I never saw any output at all.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong or is there some kind of problem
with the command line exec actor?

Thanks,
Derek Kivi
Grid Research Centre