[kepler-users] Parallel Pipelines

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 12 15:56:29 PDT 2007

Hi Kyle,

That indeed is a common need -- we are currently working on implementing
just the capabilities you describe.  Chad Berkley and Lucas Gilbert are
doing the work, and it is based on using a higher-order composite actor
to designate the subworkflows to be distributed and then the system
handles scheduling and communication across nodes without further
intervention from the user.  I think the system we are designing would
be ideal for your case.  I recommend that you have a discussion with
Chad and Lucas to further discuss this to be sure that the solution they
are developing will work for your case, and if not, consider whether
they should be managing additional requirements introduced from your case.

There is also other work going on in distributed execution in Kepler and
Ptolemy, some of which is focused on leveraging existing grid engines
(e.g., globus, nimrod).

Cheers,

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinformatics