[kepler-users] Question about R workflow in Mac OS X

Jim Balhoff james.balhoff at duke.edu
Fri Jun 16 11:50:58 PDT 2006

The reason is that applications you double-click are launched as
children of WindowServer, which is not part of your shell login
environment.  Environment variables set in shell login files are only
set when you run those shells and processes you launch from them.  If
you want to set environment variables for your entire GUI console
session you need to put them in a property list at ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist.  One unfortunate thing is that you can't reference
previously set values for variables using a $ sign in this file.
More information:

<http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html>

Hope this helps,
Jim

On Jun 16, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Dan Higgins wrote:

> Hi Jorge,
>
>     I have some more information on your problem.
>
>     When I execute the Kepler-1.0.0beta1 application on a PPC Mac by
> double clicking 'Kepler-1.0.0beta1', I can reproduce the problem that
> you reported. However, there is also a script for launching Kepler in
> the distribution called 'kepler.sh'. If I open kepler from the
> terminal
> using with './kepler.sh' with X11 running and DISPLAY set, then
> there is
> no error and the linear regression example works and displays a
> plot! I
> do NOT understand why the behavior should depend on exactly how Kepler
> is launched! (Perhaps something in how the ENV variables are passed to
> the app.)
>
>     In any case, you might want to try launching Kepler from Terminal
> with the shell script and see if that works for you.
>
> Dan

James P. Balhoff
National Evolutionary Synthesis Center
Duke University