[kepler-users] Question from a newbie - access variables from a database query

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Dec 6 07:58:15 PST 2006

Scott,

If you're accessing a database with JDBC support, you can use the JDBC
actor and it will give you access to the resultset for the query you
pass in.  There is an example in the workflows/test/testQuery.xml

You can also get output fro this actor in XML format and other formats
for downstream processing.

Matt

Scott Bainbridge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Kepler and I am writing a data quality control system. In
> order to learn Kepler I am trying to get some basic functions happening.
> At the moment I can connect to the database, run a query and display the
> output as XML or whatever. So far so good. I want to be able to take one
> of the database variables and do something with it, for example to plot
> two of the database fields.
>
> I think I need to create a port in the database query actor to pull off
> the variable I want to deal with but when I do this and put this through
> to a display actor I get no display so this is not working. I feel that
> I need to bind the port to the database variable but I am not sure how
> to do this.
>
> So the question is how do I access one of more fields or variables from
> the query and then use this for further processing??
>
> This seems so basic but I can't find any info anywhere, some of the
> examples seem to have ports defined to do this but I am not sure of how
> to bind the port to the database field.
>

> Any ideas welcome!
>

> Scott.
>

> Scott Bainbridge
> Data Manager,
> Australian Institute of Marine Science
> S.bainbridge at aims.gov.au

>  The information contained in this communication is  for the use of the
>  individual  or  entity  to  whom  it  is  addressed, and  may  contain
>  information which is the  subject of legal privilege and/or copyright.
>  If you have received this  communication in  error, please  notify the
>  sender by return E-Mail and delete the transmission, together with any
>  attachments, from your system. Thank you.

Matthew B. Jones
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                Ph: 541-888-2581 ext. 287
UC Santa Barbara
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinformatics