[kepler-users] web services actor and firewall/proxy?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 8 14:46:26 PDT 2006

Hi Eddie,

I don't think the current web services actor in Kepler supports the use
of a forwarding proxy server (maybe Ilkay could confirm or refute
this?).  It would be a nice feature to add for all network connections
in Kepler.

As a thuggish workaround, you could employ a local transparent proxy at
your operating system level (ie, on your machine's firewall) that
reroutes all outgoing http traffic (including from Kepler) through your
network proxy server (being sure to configure the local proxy to
autoforward the ports used by your web services to the network proxy).
This is relatively easy to do using squid and iptables if you run under
linux and have some system administration background.  Otherwise it
probably is going to be difficult at best.  Here is a decent article
describing this approach (but I haven't tried it, so ymmv):

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3603616
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/TransparentProxy.html

Let us know if you succeed, and if so how.  Thanks, and good luck,

Matt