[kepler-users] kepler interface to JXTA or P2PS

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 29 13:52:37 PST 2005

Hi Maurice,

We have been experimenting with JXTA and Jini in Kepler and Ptolemy, but
at this point the work is largely in the experimental phase.  Daniel
Cuadrado committed some code that allows for an DistributedSDF director,
which can be used to distribute the computations on a set of Jini nodes.
  This isn't fully mature because there is not yet enough control over
what parts of the model are distributed and how the Jini nodes are set
up and configured with Kepler.  But it does work.  You can compile and
run the jini prototype in Kepler using "ant run-jinidev", although it
would probably take some setup beforehand.

In addition, I did some work on using JXTA to set up peer-to-peer grids
-- it is in CVS but not tied in to the running application.  The JXTA
work is described here:
    http://kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=PeerToPeerKepler

We haven't been able to work on this stuff lately due to more pressing
issues in Kepler.  But I do plan to come back to it as soon as possible.
  If you'd like to help out in this regard it would be welcomed.  I
think we will probably drop the JXTA framework as it seems very hard to
program to and somewhat fragile.  We'll have to evaluate other
frameworks (Jini, P2PS, others) to see if they would be better than JXTA.

Cheers,
Matt