[kepler-users] Kepler API access

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 7 08:54:30 PDT 2005

Hi,

There are two mechanisms to get data out of the SRB in Kepler.  One is
to use the native SRB actors that communicate with the SRB directly.

The other is to use the EML Data Source actor to retrieve a metadata
document that has pointers to objects in the srb.  The EML Data Source
actor will then take care of retrieving the data for you from the SRB,
and it is cache aware so it will place any retrieved objects in the
cache.  This makes sure that you only download a given object once, and
the workflow won't execute until the objects have been cached.

The native SRB actors are not cache aware but could probably be modified
to utilize the cache.

I'm not sure what else you might mean by "stage" other than download the
data.  You also mention "notification mechanisms to enable execution" --
I'm not quite sure what you mean but if you are saying that you want to
be notified when the download is complete then I believe that is taken
care of by the ptolemy engine -- the data is available when you find a
token on the output port of the SRB actor.

Hope this helps.  Maybe Efrat can clarify some of the SRB actor
functionality a bit better than I.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara