[kepler-dev] what's the deal with org.kepler.loader.InitClassPath?

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 29 11:00:59 PDT 2008

Hi Tristan,

I think this class is there so that the classpath can be amended to
allow for different versions of the same class in different jars.  I
think Dan Crawl last worked on it, so I'll let him explain more.  I
think it's a bug that it finds files in the .svn directories.  They
should probably be explicitly excluded from the search as we will never
want anything in those directories in the classpath.

We have plans to overhaul this system sometime in the next year when we
start re-architecting the core of kepler.

As for including all of jython in kepler, I don't have a problem with
that as long as it isn't 20 MB of jar files or something huge like that.
  We're in the process of breaking kepler up into modules which will be
built by a single build system.  A Jython module would probably be a
nice addition to kepler.  I'm hoping to have the new directory structure
for the modules sorted out in the next week or so and I'm almost at a
point where I can check in the changes that I've made to split the core
of kepler away from other functionality.  Needless to say, there are
some pretty large changes coming to Kepler in the next couple weeks.
You might want to wait just a bit until we get this new system in place
before adding Jython.  We'll make an announcement to the community when
everything is ready to go.

thanks,
chad