[kepler-dev] what's the deal with org.kepler.loader.InitClassPath?

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 21:16:58 PDT 2008

I've been messing around with kepler's jython support recently trying to get
kepler to use my system's jython install rather than the jython.jar included
with kepler and run into an interesting problem.
The InitClassPath class recursively goes through the lib/jar/ directory and
adds anything it finds to the classpath. This includes the
.svn/**/*.jar.svn-base files. Thus, even if i overwrite the
lib/jar/jython.jar file, the lib/jar/.svn/prop-base/jython.jar.svn-base file
is found and added to the classpath, and since . comes before j, the .svn/
version of jython.jar takes precedence in the classpath. I haven't tested
this, but assume that this would effect any other files in the lib/jar/
directory. If you try and update a library, you wont be able to test it
until you check the file into svn, which overwrites the stored .svn version
of the file.

Is there any advantage to the InitClassPath class other than removing the
need to write out the classpath manually in release builds? Because I can't
see one, and I don't think the aforementioned reason is a good reason for
trying to build something that ant provides already, and does right!

--
Tristan King
Research Officer,

Phone: +61747816902