[kepler-dev] Kepler parameters

Paul Allen pea1 at cornell.edu
Thu May 29 08:13:28 PDT 2008

Could somebody clarify something about actor parameters/properties for me?

It appears to me that just by looking at a MOML file I can't figure out
the entire set of parameters/properties that can be set for an actor.
E.g., I look at the "Timed Plotter" actor in the
02-LotkaVolterraPredatorPrey.xml example workflow. The "Timed Plotter"
shows a "legend" parameter that can be set, but the MOML file doesn't
mention it. It's not until I dynamically ingest/parse the MOML file, or
manually look at the Java implementation of the actor that I get a clue
that the "legend" parameter is available. So, in general, I've got to
examine Java code or load/parse the actor/workflow in order to see the
entire list of settable parameters for an actor. Is that true?

I assume that is true. That leads me to wonder what determines when an
actor parameter property is represented in a MOML file. Is it when a
parameter has a definite value? How are defaults handled? Will a
parameter with a non-null default value always appear in the MOML file?
The "legend" parameter of the ptolemy.actor.lib.gui.TimedPlotter actor
certainly shows that when there is no default and no value set, the
parameter isn't mentioned in the MOML file.

Thanks for the info.
- Paul