[kepler-dev] Running Matlab in Kepler

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 18 17:52:49 PDT 2008

Hi Dan,

The way ptolemy.matlab.Engine works is that it calls
ptolemy.data.expr.UtilityFunctions.loadLibrary(), which tries
really hard to load the library using different paths.

I added some print statements to loadLibrary(), and you can see that
in the default situation is finds $PTII/ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab.dll
and then loads it

bash-3.2$ cd $PTII/ptolemy/matlab
bash-3.2$ $PTII/bin/vergil -jni demo/MatlabExpression/MatlabExpression.xml
loadLibrary: 0 ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab
loadLibrary: 2 about to call System.loadLibrary(ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab)
loadLibrary: 4 about to call System.loadLibrary(C:\cxh\ptII\ptolemy\matlab\ptmatlab.dll)
loadLibrary: 5 done!

If I move the $PTII/ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab.dll to somewhere in my
path ($PTII/bin), then it finds it there as well:
bash-3.2$ ls *.dll
ptmatlab.dll
bash-3.2$ mv *.dll $PTII/bin
bash-3.2$ $PTII/bin/vergil -jni
loadLibrary: 0 ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab
loadLibrary: 2 about to call System.loadLibrary(ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab)
loadLibrary: 3 about to call System.loadLibrary(ptmatlab)

On what platform are you running the Kepler build scripts?  Maybe
UtilityFunctions.loadLibrary() needs to be updated for that platform?

_Christopher

--------

    Hi Christopher,

    I am updating the Kepler build scripts for the Ptolemy matlab actor.
    Could you change ptolemy.matlab.Engine to load the JNI library as
    'ptmatlab' instead of 'ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab'? The latter prevents
    the library from being loaded unless it is in a directory structure
    that has the form .../ptolemy/matlab/.

    Thanks,

      --dan

    Christopher Brooks wrote:
    > However, the Ptolemy matlab demo did not run  within Kepler:
    >
    > ptolemy.kernel.util.IllegalActionException: There was a problem invoking
    > the Ptolemy II Matlab interface.
    > The interface has been tested under Windows and Linux,
    > requires that Matlab be installed on the local machine.Refer to
    > $PTII/ptolemy/matlab/makefile for moreinformation.
    >    in .MatlabExpression.MatlabExpression
    > Because:
    > Did not find 'ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab' in path, searched user.home
    > (c:\cxh\src\kepler) user.dir (C:\Documents and Settings\cxh) and the
    > classpath for 'ptolemy/matlab/ptmatlab.dll', but that was not found eithe
   r.
    > classpath was:
    > c:\cxh\src\kepler\build\classes;c:\cxh\src\kepler\build\src;c:\cxh\src\ke
   pler;c:\cxh\src\kepler\configs;c:\cxh\src\kepler\lib;c:\cxh\src\kepler\lib\i
   mages;c:\cxh\src\kepler\build\kepler-icons.jar;c:\cxh\ptII\lib\diva.jar;c:\c
   xh\ptII\build\ptolemy-doc.jar;c:\cxh\ptII\build\classes;c:\cxh\ptII\build\sr