[kepler-dev] Tagging and Branching

Christopher James Tuot christopher.tuot at dfki.de
Fri Jun 20 15:32:12 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I did not get any answer to my email asking how tags and branches are
currently used in Kepler and Ptolemy. I just want to have things
clear. Please read the following summary:

SUMARRY:

TAGS ARE SNAPSHOTS AND ARE STATIC: NO CHANGES ALLOWED

BRANCHES ARE USE FOR SEPERATED DEVELOPEMENT: CHANGES ALLOWED

If you disagree, then we might have a problem and we really need to
discuss this.

Below some more details:

Tag:

A tag or label refers to an important snapshot in time, consistent
across many files. These files at that point may all be tagged with a
user-friendly, meaningful name or revision number. See the discussion
of baselines, labels, and tags.

Branch:

A set of files under version control may be branched or forked at a
point in time so that, from that time forward, two copies of those
files may be developed at different speeds or in different ways
independently of the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branching_(software)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_tag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control

One important features of SVN is the use of global revision numbers
that are actually as accurate as tags.

Maybe cvs users should have a look at the following link:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apa.html#svn-ap-a-sect-1

Branch strategy:

There are several ways of using branches. Based on the information I
found here:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/doc/user/svn-best-practices.html

The Branch-When-Needed system seams to be the best for Kepler:

Pros: /trunk is guaranteed to be stable at all times. The hassle of
branching/merging is somewhat rare.

Cons: Adds a bit of burden to users' daily work: they must compile and
test before every commit.

I hope things are clear now,

Best regards,

Crhistopher Tuot

Dipl.-Ing. Christopher Tuot
DFKI GmbH (German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence)
Knowledge Management Department
POBox 2080, 67608 Kaiserslautern, Germany
fon:   +49(0)631 / 20575 - 127
fax:   +49(0)631 / 20575 - 103
mail:  christopher.tuot at dfki.de
web:   http://www.dfki.de
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter
Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes

Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313