[kepler-dev] binary files in kepler-docs

Timothy McPhillips tmcphillips at mac.com
Tue Jul 29 10:30:51 PDT 2008

Hi Matt,

Ok, I understand now that each client has to set this correctly and
that a client might get confused figuring out what is binary without
the hints in the local config file.  I was just getting lucky with the
earlier checkins of PDFs that did get set properly. (It is interesting
that this is something every client has to get right.  If I have 3
machines I work from, say, each with its own home directory, then I
need to configure and maintain the config file in a hidden directory
independently on each of those machines, which is not all that
intuitive for a version control system.  It beats having to re-checkin
files that were incorrectly indicated to be plain text, though.)

I'm still puzzled about:

(1) Why the file 20080513-jones-kepler.pdf you checked in to kepler-
docs on July 15 doesn't have the svn:mime-type property 'application/
pdf' as your config file indicates it should.  It does not download
properly in Firefox on my Mac. May I try setting the property?

(2) Why the file allen-bap-stakeholders-mtg-2008.pdf I checked in and
later set manually to svn:mime-type=application/octet-stream still
didn't behave properly via the web interface for a while (many
minutes) even after I committed the change.  It works properly now
though.  Caching somewhere, maybe?  Other files I've updated (for
content) have changed immediately on the web.

Thanks!

Tim