[kepler-dev] binary files in kepler-docs

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 28 17:31:08 PDT 2008

Hi Tim,

This  is a 'feature' in SVN that is similar to the need to use -kb on binary
files in CVS, with the difference that subversion doesn't change the file on
the server, so mistakes are easily remedied by changing the mime property
setting.  See:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#auto-props

Thus, each svn client is responsible for setting its mime type correctly on
the files it uploads using svn add or svn import.  If a mime type is not
set, the file is assumed to be text.  The default SVN client can be
configured to automatically set some files to a given mime type by using the
'auto-props' feature of the client.  Each developer must configure this is
their .subversion/config file.  The relevant section from mine is pasted
below.

Once a file is added or imported incorrectly, the only way to fix it is to
commit the mime property correctly on the file so that line endings aren't
touched (as you described), then recheck it out (delete your working copy
then update it).

More details here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.props.html#svn.advanced.props.auto

Matt

# ------------ Snippet from ~/.subversion/config
#
### Automatic properties are defined in the section 'auto-props'.
enable-auto-props = yes

### Section for configuring automatic properties.
[auto-props]
### The format of the entries is:
###   file-name-pattern = propname[=value][;propname[=value]...]
### The file-name-pattern can contain wildcards (such as '*' and
### '?').  All entries which match will be applied to the file.
### Note that auto-props functionality must be enabled, which
### is typically done by setting the 'enable-auto-props' option.
# *.c = svn:eol-style=native
# *.cpp = svn:eol-style=native
# *.h = svn:eol-style=native
# *.dsp = svn:eol-style=CRLF
# *.dsw = svn:eol-style=CRLF
# *.sh = svn:eol-style=native;svn:executable
# *.txt = svn:eol-style=native
*.png = svn:mime-type=image/png
*.jpg = svn:mime-type=image/jpeg
*.gif = svn:mime-type=image/gif
*.tif = svn:mime-type=image/tiff
*.tiff = svn:mime-type=image/tiff
*.pdf = svn:mime-type=application/pdf
*.doc = svn:mime-type=application/msword
*.xls = svn:mime-type=application/excel
*.ppt = svn:mime-type=application/powerpoint
*.gz = svn:mime-type=application/x-gzip
*.tgz = svn:mime-type=application/x-compressed
*.zip = svn:mime-type=application/zip
*.avi = svn:mime-type=video/avi
*.mov = svn:mime-type=video/quicktime
*.mpg = svn:mime-type=video/mpeg

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Timothy McPhillips <tmcphillips at ucdavis.edu
> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> The last couple PDF files I've committed to kepler-docs have not been
> recognized automatically as binary files.  (I noticed this because this
> wreaks havoc with downloads via Firefox.)  I noticed that the file
> 20080513-jones-kepler.pdf file you checked into
> meetings/2008_05_13_Stakeholders_mtg/presentations also appears to be
> missing the 'svn:mime-type : application/octet-stream' property.  Any idea
> what is going on?
>
> I seemed to be able to fix this for one file using the command:
>
> svn propset svn:mime-type 'application/octet-stream'
> bieda-chip2-stakeholders-mtg-2008.pdf
>
> and committing.  It downloads properly in Firefox, now, but the file
> allen-bap-stakeholders-mtg-2008.pdf still downloaded as binary garbage in
> the Firefox window even after I set and committed the property.  I must not
> understand what is going on...
>
> Tim

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo