[kepler-dev] question about kepler

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Sun Jul 20 18:40:13 PDT 2008

Hi Dawid,
The purpose of the replacement actors is to capture output that is usually
just displayed in a swing gui window and store it on the server. All the
replacement actors are in:
http://www.hpc.jcu.edu.au/git/?p=jc124742/hydrant.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/au/edu/jcu/kepler/hydrant;h=d31cebde81cf645abdb9251bc5188ddb7d75ec5e;hb=master

The file ReplacementManager.java contains the class which the replacement
actors use to send their data to to get stored. An instance of this class is
added to the kepler workspace before execution.

Currently it is built to work specifically with Hydrant (i.e. it translates
the java hashmap into a python dictionary), but can easily be modified to
work in pure java, and i know Jianwu has already done this for his work
(although i don't think his code is available online yet).

The file ReplacementUtils.java contains a static function which replacement
actors use to find the ReplacementManager in the workspace.

in the file:
http://www.hpc.jcu.edu.au/git/?p=jc124742/hydrant.git;a=blob;f=src/main/jython/hydrant/job/helpers.py;h=9e29499a32412e7a1b5f353a5f3f6ed7f6697972;hb=masterthe
class DefaultReplacementManager (starting line 36) extends the
ReplacementManager class (jython allows python code to interact with java
code). The __init__ function (line 37) is the equivalent of a java
constructor. line 38 is equivalent to the java "super(container, name)".
Lines 40-44 set up a directory on the server to store all the received data
in. The abstract function writePythonData is implemented starting line 45.
It simply takes the data that a replacement actor sends to it, writes the
data to a file, and makes a database entry to keep track of the file.

the file
http://www.hpc.jcu.edu.au/git/?p=jc124742/hydrant.git;a=blob;f=src/main/jython/hydrant/job/__init__.py;h=9c06eb4d64fcdfdddec62763ac309c5addf0d76b;hb=masterhas
the function queue_new_job. At line 26 is where the
DefaultReplacementManager is created and added to the workspace.

I hope this helps. I know my use of jython can make things hard to
understand, but it made building the system much simpler (Hydrant took
approximately 6 months, with one person developing and no prior knowledge of
python)!

If you want a more detailed description of the functions in any part of
hydrant feel free to ask me. I'm very happy to help.

Another note about my replacement actors method. Each replacement actor is
almost an exact copy of the actor it is replacing. This means that there is
a lot of code duplication, and if the original actors code changes, the
replacement actor needs to be changed as well. Thus this isn't very
scalable. I've been trying to push for an MVC approach to building actors in
kepler which would allow different execution platforms to handle the view of
actors (i have built a prototype using spring but it hasn't sparked any
interest yet), but until then, apart from building new actors for your web
portal this is the only solution.

Cheers
-Tristan