[kepler-dev] tutorials for developing Directors in Kepler

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 17 10:27:21 PDT 2008

Hi Irfan,
Your use case sounds like Synchronous Dataflow (SDF), where you
have an actor that reads a model, filters the model using XSLT
or someother mechanism and then writes the model to the grid.

To read the model, one can use ptolemy.actor.lib.io.FileReader.
To process the model, one can use
ptolemy.actor.lib.xslt.XSLTransformer
or write a custom actor
I'm not that up on how models are submitted to a grid, that is
more of a Kepler area.

Edward Lee gave a tutorial on how to extend domains and the user
interface,
see:
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/pubs/194.html

_Christopher
--------

    Hi Irfan,

    Adding a director is pretty straight-forward.  You just need to extend
    ptolemy.actor.Director then make a Director stub and put it in
    src/Directors.  You can use one of the existing stubs as a model.  You
    may want to extend one of the existing directors that runs the execution
    model you want, because developing your own execution model can be a bit
    tricky, especially if you want to use multiple threads.

    I don't know of any tutorials on this, but the PTII folks may have one.
      You might look here: http://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/

    chad