[kepler-dev] question about kepler

Jianwu Wang jianwu at sdsc.edu
Thu Jul 17 01:35:50 PDT 2008

Hi Dawid,

    Thanks for your interest. Please see my part response below.

dejw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new user as regard kepler, we are taking part in some very
> interesting project which wants to incorporate kepler workflow engine
> into portal environment.
>
> I have some questions about it, but I'm sure there will be more later:
>
> 1. Is it possible to create some simple workflow (or even more
> complicated one) and use it later as an actor to build another workflow?
> Is there some 'abstract' actor which takes workflow xml definition as
> parameter and enables to use it as a brick to build another workflow?
     Yes. With Composite actor, you can encapsulate a workflow as a
sub-flow and construct another workflow with this composite actor. You
can find some example workflows from the demos directory, (e.g.:
getting-started\06-WebServicesAndDataTransformation.xml). Usually, the
xml content of  the subflow  need  to be put  in the new workflow xml
file. I'm not sure whether a kepler workflow can be imported into
another workflow with its URL.

> 2. Kepler is a standalone application, do you have maybe some tips how
> to use it in portal environment? We want to enable running all
> workflows generated in kepler without restrictions.
> So as I understand we should do some actor replacements (like for
> Display for example) and we want add also our actors as we want to use
> different grid services which are not covered currently in the default
> set of actors.
    Hydrant project (http://www.hpc.jcu.edu.au/hydrant/) has implemented
a very good portal environment of Kepler to run workflows in kepler.
Actors for display are replaced in Hydrant before execution.
    You are welcome to add new actors into Kepler actor repository. If
they do not related with display, they should can be executed in Hydrant.

> 3. Actor repository - I understand that it is possible to have one
> common actor repository for some organization? Kepler uses LDAP for
> it? Are there some access rights for actors or something like this? Is
> it possible to grant some roles to users when LDAP authentication is
> used? Is it possible to require login while starting Kepler?
     You can find the current actor repository at
http://library.kepler-project.org/kepler/. Yet it is not widely used
currently. We are trying implement more comprehensive actor repository
mechanism.

> That's all right now,
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Dawid  Szejnfeld, PSNC, Poland

Best wishes

Sincerely yours

Jianwu Wang
jianwu at sdsc.edu

Post-Doctor
Scientific Workflow Automation Technologies (SWAT) Laboratory
San Diego Supercomputer Center
University of California, San Diego
San Diego, U.S.A.