[kepler-dev] workflow execution id?

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Thu Jul 3 16:48:20 PDT 2008

Does the R actor support reading values from properties? If so, you may be
able to set a property at the start of the workflow (i.e. the current time)
and use that property as the base directory for all your output.

In Hydrant, before execution I go through the workflow and find any R and
other file writing actors and modify their outputs to point to a unique
directory, but this wouldn't help you unless you wanted to edit the kepler
code to solve this problem.

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Paul Allen <pea1 at cornell.edu> wrote:

>  I pondered the same question a while ago, in the context of remotely
> executing workflows. Here's what I did when executing workflows
> programmatically (not through the Kepler UI):
>
>         MoMLParser parser = new MoMLParser();
>         MoMLParser.setMoMLFilters(BackwardCompatibility.allFilters());
>         MoMLParser.addMoMLFilter(new RemoveGraphicalClasses());
>         URL url = new URL(<workflow URL>);
>         CompositeActor toplevel = (CompositeActor) parser.parse(null, url);
>         toplevel.setName(<some unique ID>);
>
> Taking this approach, the unique ID becomes part of the the value for any
> NamedObj in the workflow when you use NamedObj.getFullName().
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ben leinfelder wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
> I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to uniquely identify a
> workflow execution.  My goal is to place various R actor output
> (graphic files, text files, etc...) generated during a workflow
> execution into a folder for that run of the workflow.  I've played
> around with the Workspace "version" and also the Director "start time"
> but neither of those seem to meet my needs.
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
> thanks,
> -ben
>
> (I'm trying to tread lightly (or not at all) on the provenance work
> being done)

Tristan King
Research Officer,
eResearch Centre
James Cook University, Townsville Qld 4811
Australia

Phone: +61747816902
E-mail: tristan.king at jcu.edu.au www: http://eresearch.jcu.edu.au