[kepler-dev] Got web UI?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 28 10:33:35 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

We very much would welcome your contributions, and would look forward to
working with you on the integration of the project to meet Kepler's web UI
needs.  In our recent developer's meeting, I think we all agreed that there
was a tremendous need for additional web-based UIs for Kepler, and that
there is probably need for more than one. Or at least, there are several
distinct use cases that would require different, and not necessarily
compatible, web UI features.

In order to facilitate collaboration, we have set up a collaboration area
specifically for work on one or more shared web UIs for Kepler.  Tim has
converted some of the documents from the developer's meeting into a working
charter for the web UI group:

https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/incubation/webui

There is a forum for the group to be used for discussing just these types of
issues.

At NCEAS, we have two projects that require web-based execution of workflows
-- one on conservation biology and one on sensor network data analysis and
modeling -- we'll have people from both of these projects begin to work on
the web user interface soon.

Matt

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Paul Allen <pea1 at cornell.edu> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I'd like the Kepler dev group to consider adopting a web UI for Kepler that
> I have been working on as part of an NSDL project. As it stands now, I think
> that it meets many of the needs a Kepler UI. I don't have a publicly
> accessible demo, but I'd like you all to look at the technologies and
> features I describe here to see if there is enough overlap to interest you.
> My hat is off to Tristan King who really broke the ground on Kepler web UIs.
> What I will describe isn't a lot different in functionality from Tristan's
> Hydrant (https://www.hpc.jcu.edu.au/hydrant/) but it is a Java-based
> solution.
>
> I know it is difficult for you to evaluate without seeing something
> working. I expect to have something public in a few weeks. If the Kepler
> project would like this code to use as a basis for a web UI, I would clean
> it up a bit and hand it over to be jointly enhanced by the Kepler community.
> *
> Technology:*
>
>    - Java 1.5
>    - Hibernate 3
>     - Spring 2.5 and Spring Security (Acegi)
>
> *Implementation Infrastructure:*
>
>    - MySQL (very few MySQL-specific features used)
>    - WebSphere App. Server (nothing IBM-specific knowingly used)
>    - Eclipse used for development
>
> *UI Features:*
>
>    - workflow management
>       - browse
>       - search
>       - upload
>       - copy
>       - version
>       - delete
>       - download
>    - parameter management
>     - custom default values
>        - custom parameter prompts
>       - designating parameters as required
>        - expose subset of parameters for new values when workflow is run
>        - job management - a job is a workflow that is to be executed with
>    specificied parameters
>       - see status
>        - cancel job
>       - delete job
>    - workflow results management
>       - see results from a particular job
>       - see results from the most recent run
>        - output is URL accessible and can be used as a permanent web
>       resource
>       - output from a specific job can be referenced individually
>       - output from the most recent run of a job can be referenced as a
>        - "community" tools
>       - tagging
>       - favorites
>       - rating
>       - comments
>    - user account management
>       - login/logout/remember me
>       - create/edit user account
>        - password reminder
>
> *Backend Features:*
>
>    - actor management
>       - filters are used to replace normal Kepler/Ptolemy actors with
> [...]

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo