[kepler-dev] Weka actors - experimental release

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 27 08:54:08 PDT 2008

We're working on the requirements and design of this system, and the design
documents that exist are in the Framework Team work area of the new Kepler
development site:

https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/teams/framework

In particular, you'll find a requirements document there that lists use
cases, requirements, and desired features for the new extension framework.
We're seriously evaluating OSGi as the basis for the framework because of
its support for dynamic class loading and separate namespaces for each
extension, which allows version differences to co-exist among multiple
extensions.

You make good points on the icons and ontology stuff -- I'll add those to
the list of use cases.

Matt

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Peter Reutemann <fracpete at waikato.ac.nz>wrote:

> Hi Matt
>
> > That's very exciting that you've done all of that with Weka.  It seems
> like
> > a tool that could be very useful across a number of disciplines.
> >
> > One thing we've been working on is a new framework for creating a more
> > modular system for designing and packaging Kepler extensions.  One of our
> > goals is explicitly this use case -- to ship a set of actors and their
> jar
> > dependencies that can be loaded at runtime into Kepler and not have any
> > namespace or jar versioning conflicts.  We're currently experimenting
> with
> > this system and I was wondering if you'd be willing to let us (and help
> us)
> > package your Weka actors as an extension that could be used in this new
> > Kepler framework as it evolves.  We'd also welcome your commentary on
> what
> > would make for a good system for developing actors and packaging them
> > separately from the Kepler kernel. What do you think?  If you like this
> > idea, we could create a new extension area for the weka actors in the
> Kepler
> > SVN tree and then work on the packaging needed to make this into a
> > standalone extension.
>
> Count me in! :-) Is there some documentation available that I could
> take a look at?
>
> Comments for this framework:
> - dynamic addition of icons
> - dynamic extension of the ontologies (adding projects and actors)
>
> Currently, not knowing any better, I modified the owl files and icon
> properties files that Kepler comes with.
>
> Cheers, Peter
> --
> Peter Reutemann, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waikato, NZ
> http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/<http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/%7Efracpete/>Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo