[kepler-dev] Proposed Use Cases for New Build System

Timothy McPhillips tmcphillips at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 08:30:21 PDT 2008

Hi David,

Yes, let's all wait for feedback from everyone on how much work the
licensing issues for compile-time dependencies would be to resolve
before researching the other licenses.

Going over the Kepler/CORE build system use case proposals today
sounds good, but here are few quick comments.  First, let's create a
separate document listing a number of different options for how Kepler
could conceivably depend on Ptolemy at compile time.  This will allow
folks to point out pros and cons of each approach (and additional
alternatives).  Second, let's work on separating out the high-level
system functions from the implementation (and policy) proposals (the
"wills" and "shoulds").  This will allow us to distinguish
conversations about what functions and system characteristics we want
to support from how one might achieve them, encourage others to
propose different priorities, approaches, etc.  I think the current
document can serve as seed and source material for these analyses.

Take the proposal to remove build- and run-time dependencies on
environment variables, for example.  If we phrase the desideratum
behind this as "support cross-platform, cross-tool (including multiple-
IDE) development with minimal configuration", it will be clearer
whether the ultimate goal is achievable and suggest what else would
have to be done.

Thanks for doing this!

Tim