[kepler-dev] Java 1.5 for Kepler

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 27 11:46:11 PDT 2007

Hi Ilkay,
    I did run into a problem in compiling Kepler without the 'source
1.4' setting. I get the error

    [javac] Compiling 915 source files to C:\work\kepler\build\classes
    [javac]
C:\work\kepler\build\src\org\sdm\spa\MessageBasedWebService.java:85:
 as of release 1.5, 'enum' is a keyword, and may not be used as an
identifier
    [javac] (try -source 1.4 or lower to use 'enum' as an identifier)
    [javac] import org.apache.axis.enum.Style;
    [javac]                        ^
    [javac] 1 error

It looks like the MessageBasedWebService actor calls an axis class that
has 'enum' in the path and Java 1.5 does not like that! So it looks like
the axis package we are using is pre Java 1.5. Is there a fix for this?
(I am assuming you are familiar with this code.)

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195