[kepler-dev] Dynamically adding classes to the classpath

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 18 12:23:01 PDT 2007

Hi All,

    As anyone who has worked with Kepler has probably noticed, Kepler
has an incredibly long classpath! (due to all the addtional jars used by
the collection of actors that have been added to the system). In
particular, there are about 100 jars in the $KEPLER/lib/jar/ directory
that have to be included. Ant or Eclipse or some shell script needs to
create a list of these for the classpath variable and pass this to the
java command line launching Kepler. it would be nice to  just
automatically include all the jar files needed.

    Well, it turns out that there is a way to dynamically add files to
the classpath from within a Java program. See

 http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=300557&start=0&tstart=0

for a class called 'ClassPathHacker'. I have added this class to Kepler
and added some code to the Kepler startup class (KeplerApplication) to
automatically add all files under $KEPLER/lib/jar/ to the classpath as
the first thing done when Kepler starts up. I also removed the files in
this location from the classpath generated by ant. Please let me know if
this causes problems for anyone.

    Besides cleaning up the command window when Kepler starts, this
change means that addition of actors to Kepler will only require someone
to drop a jar into the jar directory! It will also be possible to
include java code in a KAR file (as a jar) and we can modify the KAR
loader to copy the jar to this directory and add it to the classpath at
the same time. [Note that this approach does not create a new
ClassLoader, so we won't get the ability to have several versions of a
class or unload it. However, we will be able to load java based actors
from the Repository.]

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195