[kepler-dev] Kepler visual monitors

Carlos Rueda carueda at ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 11 16:45:54 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I have a first prototype of a new Kepler functionality that allows the
dynamic association of visual monitor attributes to the entities in a
workflow, and I would like at this point to check it in, so some of you
can try it and give me some feedback. However, I'm getting ``kepler: cvs
commit: Pre-commit check failed.'' can someone please grant me write
access to the CVS?

Since the code for this prototype uses some java 1.5 features, I will
start by only checking in the compiled classes
($KEPLER/lib/jar/kepler-monitor.jar) for now, as well as some demo
workflows in $KEPLER/workflows/test/monitor/.
Attached is kepler-monitor.zip with these files if you want to try in
the meantime. Also attached is a screenshot of one tests.

BTW, I'm not sure if java 1.5 features are OK for the kepler code base;
can someone please confirm before I start retro-translating my code?  ;)

The overall goal of a monitor icon is to reflect the state of execution
of an actor. For example, using a traffic light icon, the behavior would
be like this: green -> the actor is active; yellow -> the actor has been
idle or waiting for input for some time; red -> some error has occurred
that prevents the actor from continuing its execution. The current
prototype includes this basic scheme but there are several aspects to be
examined:

- can we make the whole functionality MoC-independent? (The current
prototype doesn't have any dependency of this kind but perhaps there are
  special cases to consider).

- Customization. Some built-in monitoring schemes should of course be
included for easy use, but also an API for developers to extend the
functionality, eg., by defining new icon styles and execution states.
This is particularly relevant when internal events should be reflected
in the icons. The prototype provides a first approach in this direction,
but state transitions are only determined by events associated to the
ports in the actors (call these "external events").

Thanks and best regards,

Carlos