[kepler-dev] kepler "instantiate component" from a url

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 1 05:21:47 PDT 2007

The actor ptolemy.actor.lib.Sinewave is a class defined in MoML.
You can instantiate it using the dialog you refer to, but it is a composite actor.
It is used in the demo ptolemy/domains/sdf/demo/Sinewave/NoisySinewave.
Moreover, the class definition (a MoML file) can be put on a website,
and can be instantiated by referencing the URL.  This is illustrated
by the Ptolemy demo ptolemy/moml/demo/Networked/Networked.xml.

This class mechanism is described in the following paper:

"Classes and Inheritance in Actor-Oriented Design,"
Edward A. Lee, Yang Zhao, and Stephen Neuendorffer
to appear in ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, August 27, 2007.
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/publications/papers/07/classesandInheritance/index.htm

Hope this clarifies things...

Edward