[kepler-dev] Kepler Actors in vergil

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:04:40 PDT 2007

Although in principal they would work, as actors in Kepler extend the
same API as Ptolemy, there could be problems of code dependencies. If
you start Vergil using the Kepler jar files, then you should at least
have all of the jar files that the actors might depend upon.  If tried
to start vergil from a straight ptolemy build and then open a Kepler
actor you might be missing some jar files.

In addition, there are a few actors that depend on some of the
underlying kepler infrastructure, such as the EcoGrid actors and GDAL
actors that utilize the Kepler ObjectManager for cacheing.  The
ObjectManager is obviously not started up in Vergil without starting
Kepler, so you will have errors for actors that depend on other parts of
Kepler.

I'd really like to determine why you had such trouble building Kepler in
the first place, and try to make that process much easier for you.

Matt

Chad Berkley wrote:
> The actor descriptions (which are kepler specific) are in kar files, but
> the classes are just in the classpath as normal.  Since vergil doesn't
> need the actor descriptions, you shouldn't have to worry about them.  If
> you start vergil with the kepler/build/classes directory in the
> classpath, you should be able to instantiate the kepler actors with the
> "instantiate actor" menu.  You'll have to have any jar file dependencies
> on the classpath too.
>
> chad
>
> Kenneth Evans wrote:
>> Hi,

>> That's good.  I assume that means "in principal".  So in practice how would
>> I go about making one of the actors that comes with Kepler available so I
>> can use it in Vergil.  I assume these actors are in KAR files to start with.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>         -Ken

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo