[kepler-dev] Kepler user interface + relation to Recito

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:17:59 PST 2007

I don't speak for Kepler, but in my mind, I've always seen the Kepler
UI as a UI for model builders and model users.  An Eclipse UI would be
for actor builders who have an intimate knowledge of Java etc.  Kepler
and Eclipse expose two different views on the same system.  It might
be possible to hide some of the Eclipse/Java nitty-gritty from Kepler
users, but this would take some doing.

I could see migrating one of the Ptolemy UI's towards Eclipse, we've
looked for funding in this area but have not yet been funded.  I'm not
so sure it would be appropriate to require Kepler users to use
Eclipse, though it would be nice if was possible for Kepler users to
more easily use Eclipse.  I, for one, find configuring Ptolemy under
Eclipse to be difficult and to configure Ptolemy and Kepler under
Eclipse to be very difficult.  The primary problem seems to have to do
with the classpath.  It seems that some Eclipse users might not have
an internal model of how Eclipse actually builds things and don't know
where to modify the build environment to fix this.  The challenge here
is to make configuring Ptolemy and Kepler under Eclipse _much_ easier.
I think that including configuring and building Ptolemy and Kepler
under Eclipse as part of the nightly build is essential if these two
packages are to be used under Eclipse.

I'm not sure if there is much of a relationship between Kepler and
Recito, though members of both groups were at the Ptolemy
Miniconference in February.

_Christopher

Christopher Brooks (cxh at eecs berkeley edu) University of California
Chess Executive Director                      US Mail: 337 Cory Hall #1774
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/Trust        Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (office: 400A Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480

--------

    Hi,

    I have been following the evolution of Kepler for a while now and I am
    very enthousiastic with the projects that are currently being started
    such as Kepler/CORE.

    I have seen that there exists another project called "Recito"
    (http://www.sp-process.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Item
   id=55)
    which provides an eclipse-based user interface to Ptolemy and has some
    additional actor libraries.
    - What is their relation to the Kepler development team?
    - Are there plans to migrate the Kepler user interface to an
    eclipse-based environment (which would be a great enhancement in my
    opinion)?

    In Kepler/CORE a standalone GUI will be developed, is it the intention
    to base this on Recito or will this be done independently?

    Thanks a lot for your answers!

    Tim.

    ir. Tim Van den Bulcke
    PhD candidate