[kepler-dev] How are LSID's allocated?

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue May 29 08:26:31 PDT 2007

Hi Tony,

LSID's were chosen over UUIDs for three main reasons: 1) they have a
formal resolution protocol for obtaining the resource from the ID alone,
2) despite this ability to be resolved, they still separate identity
from location, and  3) they are Internet URIs, and so can be used in
various places that UUIDs can not, such as the namespace for an XML
document.

In theory, any valid LSID could be used, and so they can be safely
assigned by distributed providers.  In practice, all Kepler actors so
far have been assigned to the kepler-project.org authority. I certainly
hope there is no code that requires this, but I can't be sure without
trying it.  Chad Berkley implemented the system and may be able to
clarify whether or not a different authority can be used.  He also can
clarify how the LSIDs within the kepler-project.org authority are
issued.  At one point this was done simply by tracking the last used
identifiers in the file kepler/src/actors/README -- but I am not sure if
this is still the case.  Chad can probably clarify.

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                Ph: 541-888-2581 ext. 287
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinformatics