[kepler-dev] Prototyping Workflows

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri May 4 09:23:44 PDT 2007

Ilkay,
    I have been reviewing some of the Kepler publications. In the
publication that you and several other authors (Chad Berkley, Efrat
Jaeger, Matthew Jones, Bertram Ludascher and Steve Mock) wrote, titled
"Kepler: An Extensible System for Design and Execution of Scientific
Workflows, you (et al.) mentioned the design actor:

> Prototyping workflows: Kepler allows scientists to prototype SWFs
> before implementing the actual code needed for execution. Kepler’s
> design actor can be seen as a “blank slate” which prompts the
> scientist for critical information about an actor, e.g., the actor’s
> name, and port information. Once the user has prototyped an actor in
> this way, a corresponding stub is compiled at run-time and added to
> the user’s library.  The user can then use this stub on the workflow
> canvas to prototype a workflow.

I didn't see any reference to this in the Developer's Tutorial
(http://www.kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=KeplerDevelopersTutorial).

Is the design actor still in use? If so, do you think it would be
helpful to show how this can be done in an introductory developer
video? Are there more materials that explain how this happens? (I
personally don't know how to do this.)

Ideally, I would have worked through each of the steps of learning,
creating videos and reviewing documentation. In this way, I would have
worked progressively through the material, learning and contributing
as I have gone along.

Unfortunately, because of other deadlines and unexpected events that I
have had, I have jumped around quite a bit to just get the answer that
I need. I am very interested in learning to prototype a workflow
before Monday for something I'm working on. Is this any different,
however, than simply creating our own code stubs in the HelloWorld or
similar tutorials?

Any help you, or anyone on Kepler-dev, could give would be great.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi