[kepler-dev] A very thorny question..

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Mar 28 23:22:13 PDT 2007

Kirsten,
    Thank you for the response. I agree, actually, that including more
examples than just addition shows more of the power of Kepler. The
Simple Statistics (Summary Statistics) and Linear Regression examples
use R. Adding the Browser Display problem means three of the six
examples didn't work on "default" settings outside of Windows. There
were more problems (like actor's names had changed), but those are
easily fixed by updating the guide. The first three examples mentioned
here seem like they require a bit more consideration on how external
browsers and R will be included/interfaced in non-windows
distributions in the future.

    Although I could fix each of the problems I had, the typical user
(that I have in mind at least) will not want to do so much "tinkering"
to setup the program - especially if it could be avoided.

    Many of my questions regarding the future road-map (like do we
include R in all distributions, etc.) will have a big impact on my
thinking. I'm going to hold off saying much more and just read email
as I catch-up learning what the group has to say about these
potentially thorny (or not) questions.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi