[kepler-dev] Can I use Ptolemy actors in Kepler?

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 21 23:16:53 PDT 2007

Tony:

You're absolutely right. And thanks for being an example of a
higher-order, functional workflow designer ;-)

Some (but clearly not all) workflow users have higher-order,
functional urges at times and for these and other reasons it would be
good to benefit from all Ptolemy goodies (while having capabilities to
hide them from non-suspecting, so-called "end-users" -- who are they
anyways ;-)

As evidence of my membership in the Church of Higher-Order Functions
(COHOF), please accept my humble link to this short paper full of
recycled, half-baked ideas:
    Scientific Workflows: More e-Science Mileage from
    Cyberinfrastructure, B. Ludäscher, et al.  Workshop on Scientific
    Workflows and Business workflow standards in e-Science at
    eScience'06, Amsterdam, December, 2006.
    http://daks.ucdavis.edu/~ludaesch/Paper/ludaescher-escience-wf-mileage.pdf

See Section 4 in particular. Also note the philosophical Figure 4.
Apart from COHOF (Fig. 4b), it also introduces another new
denomination, i.e. Collection-Oriented Modeling and Design (COMAD).

Expect many converts to COMAD (away from PN, SDF, and even COHOF) once
the Kepler release is out on that.
Basically it solves all the worlds problems (ok, maybe not cellulitis).
For a first preview on COMAD (I don't expect this to be the last thing
to be heard abou it) see the paper by Tim et al:

    Collection-Oriented Scientific Workflows for Integrating and
    Analyzing Biological Data, T. McPhillips et al. 3rd International
    Workshop on Data Integration in the Life Sciences (DILS'06),
    European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Hinxton, UK, July 20-22, 2006.
    http://daks.ucdavis.edu/~ludaesch/Paper/dils06.pdf

Thanks also to Dan for working on what some (sometimes disgruntled)
users want: having the cake and eating it (here: searching all actors w/o

Bon apetit!

Bertram